Tuesday, 23 September 2008

Monday, 22 September 2008

Parenting decisions already!

After much research and discussions we've decided to choose option 3 - a cesarean. It has the best odds of a good outcome for bubs and that's what matters most to us. The unfortunate part is that it'll take me a longer, tougher time to recover from and I was hoping to experience a natural birth.

We already have our date booked, which is so odd to go from "I wonder when she'll arrive" to "she'll be out by then", but also nice to know that there's an end in sight! :)

Tuesday, 16 September 2008

Breech Baby.

I had an appointment on Monday with my obstetrician and the bub is still in the breech position. There is hardly any room left for her to move (in fact probably zero room) so looks like she'll stay in breech. I am so disappointed because I know the best outcome for the two of us is a normal, natural birth. I also know it would be a huge bonding experience between the two of us and something I was really hoping to experience. And it is no longer possible.

But those are the cards we were dealt and now we need to come up with a new birth plan. There are three possible options:
  • Option 1 - Attempt a breech birth (This is the best option if it works out , however 1 out of 20 babies die or are injured, which sounds like too high odds to me - not to mention the fact that a breech birth is a lot harder than a normal birth).

  • Option 2 - An obstetrician can attempt to forcibly turn her (but the success rate is extremely low, there is a chance of it ending in an emergency situation and the biggest possibility is that nothing will change at all except I'll be mighty sore and bruised).

  • Option 3 - A scheduled c-section (a major operation after which I'll need to physically recover while taking on the demands of a new baby and there's a small chance she'll be injured or end up in a nursery for a few days under observation).

Friday, 5 September 2008

Last day of work.

Yes today is my last day of work. And while a few weeks ago I couldn't wait to get out of here, I am now sad about leaving.

This is the longest job I've ever had. I've been here just over 3 1/2 years now. Prior to that my longest job was just over a year. So even though I may talk a lot about all the bad days at work and the times when I just want to quit.. overall it's actually the best job I've ever had and I've had some great times here. I think my staying here for 3 1/2 years says that.

At the same time I know that I cannot keep working because I am sore, tired and need a break. I am really looking forward to a rest, being able to read and having time to prepare for my next phase of life.

Monday, 1 September 2008

Pregnancy - 34th week.

Today I had my obstetrician appointment and found out bubs is still in the breech position. :( There is still time for her to turn but it would have been a lot better if she'd already moved. She obviously loves lying with her head under my ribs for some reason?! Which explains all the rib pain I've been experiencing and probably explains my terrible back pain.

I have been researching ways to encourage babies to turn and plan to try some of the methods suggested. Don't know if it'll work but I think it's worth a try.