Tuesday 23 June 2009

Maya moves forward.

Not being able to move forward has been a source of frustration for Maya. She would see something just out of her reach and not be able to grab it. For weeks now I have watched her flap her legs and then groan or even cry in frustration.

I decided to see if there was a way I could help her to learn to crawl. I was either told that there is nothing I could do or that it's much better if she doesn't crawl.

Well I knew that before babies crawl they often start by getting up on their knees and rocking. So I held Maya up on her knees, rocked her and said "weeeeeeeeeeeee". She laughed and smiled. I had created a fun game. :) We did this a couple of times a day over a few days. Then I noticed she would get up on her knees without me. Only briefly - but it was a start. Next I noticed that if I said "weeeeeeeeeee" she would automatically get up on her knees and rock. I realised that I had in fact taught her how to get up on her knees and she associated a word with an action. Then yesterday as she was playing she realised she could inch forwards if she got up on her knees. I managed to capture this on the video below.

Not only am I extremely proud of my darling daughter of picking up this new skill so quickly but I am proud of myself for teaching and guiding her towards this new achievement.

Plus as a bonus she is now less frustrated.

2 comments:

Eliza said...

Maybe I should try this with Jude. He has only just started rolling around, but he does that with great aplomb. Then again, do I really want him crawling everywhere? I haven't grown those eyes in the back of the head I thought all mothers get.

Tanya said...

I have to be much more alert now that she can get around the place, but I found it harder listening to her cry in frustration when she couldn't get to things in sight. I wouldn't have tried to teach her to crawl if she hadn't been so frustrated.

Oh and I don't have those eyes in the back of my head either. Half the time I turn around just in time to see her popping some bit of fluff or rubbish into her mouth to eat.