Tuesday 16 February 2010

My return to work.

While I am so glad that I have been able to stay at home with Maya full time for the first 16 months of her life, I have also found myself very much missing adult conversation and company during that time.  I thrive on interactions with other adults and being at home with an infant just hasn't been enough to fulfil me.  I really wish it was enough and I very much admire stay at home mothers because I do believe that having a primary, full time, stay at home caregiver is best for the child.  However, for a while now I have found myself being eager to return to work for the adult company, conversation and me time.

My plan was to return to work in January 2010, but when my illness flared up I began to fret that I wouldn't be well enough to.  I even had some vertigo attacks at the end of December and thought my opportunity to return to work was lost.  Luckily throughout January I remained attack free and at the end of January I made the transition back to work.

I am only working two days a week, which honestly is actually more than enough for me right now.  In fact I'd rather work just one day a week, but I don't think that would be possible at my current job.  One day is just enough to refresh me with some me time and time with other adults. 

I still very much want to be with Maya as much as possible and that's why I decided on only two days a week.  I would hate to be away from her more than that.  I know that this time will go very quickly and she will grow faster than I can imagine and being with her is still very important to me.  I also think children of this age do still need a primary caregiver for the majority of time.  I just need a bit of time out each week for myself.

So far I am enjoying working again and it feels like I haven't been away as long as I actually have.  Although I am fearful of having a vertigo attack on the way to, from or at work.  And I am not enjoying the hour long train journey there and back (I used to live five minutes away!).  But overall I am happy to be back.  I just hope I remain well.

The hardest part has been missing Maya, which seems funny given the fact that I wanted the time away.  But I have spent almost every minute of the last 16 months with Maya and being apart from her now is hard.  The fact that I have been with her almost every minute of the last 16 months is also the reason why I need some time out.

Maya is now in child care for the two days, which I will write about in more detail in another post.  So far she is struggling with being apart from me, which is making me feel very guilty for putting myself first.  But I really need to give this a go and if it doesn't work out for me or her then I can always return to being a stay at home mother, which I do enjoy.  I just need some more regular time to myself and time with other adults, which is what work gives me.

1 comment:

Zoya said...

I believe that each family should do what works best for them. I'm glad to hear that you found it easy to pick up your job again and didn't feel that a break from work affected your work abilities in a negative way. Hope you and Maya will find the new arrangement easier once a bit more time passes and you had time to adjust.