Saturday 2 October 2010

Vertigo

I found this description of vertigo on Meniere's Resources Inc

During a vertigo event, what usually happens is the brain is telling the eye to move in response to bad information it receives from a dysfunctional balance system. These eye movements would be helpful at keeping balance if that information from the inner ear were accurate, but since it's false information it produces the appearance that everything is spinning which reinforces the bad balance information.

I am still suffering from the occasional vertigo attack.  Though I was attack free for a few months, around July they started up again.  However, while the vertigo still starts off violently it seems to 'slow down' and not last as long as before.  The attacks are still highly unpleasant but not unbearable any more.

I wish I knew that this was actually a good sign and that the illness had taken its course.  But unfortunately some people have a spate of milder vertigo, only to be followed by violent attacks again.  So I cannot be certain that the unbearable vertigo, that plagued me last year, is over now forever.  It is still a scary time for me and with each vertigo attack there is disappointment that they are still occurring.

However, having the regular, milder attacks of vertigo hasn't damaged my confidence as much as last year.  I am still leading a fairly active, normal life, except on the occasions of vertigo when I need to take it easy.  But I can still somewhat function through these new level of attacks and get myself to a safe seat and watch over Maya.  Last year the attacks were so bad I was on the floor and unable to get up for an hour or more.

I really hope that I will never again experience those unbearable attacks.  I hope that my body is adjusting to this awful illness and it will remain manageable.  And I hope someday this illness will be a bad memory and not something that affects my life any more.

No comments: