Wednesday 25 May 2011

I can't hear her.

When I tell people that I am missing my mother and miss our conversations, I often hear "You can still talk to her" or "She's still listening" or "She will guide you".  But that misses the point.  I want to be able to converse with my mother.  I want to hear her advice and opinion.  I want her words of comfort and encouragement.  And yes I can talk to her and I can imagine what she might say and doing those things can be very comforting at times.  But it is not even slightly the same as having my mother here with me and actually conversing with her.

I know these things are said by well meaning people who are trying to help.  But they are in fact dismissing my feelings.  I am missing my mother.  I am missing our conversations.  And nothing can make that better. 

No one can ease my grief.  Only time can do that.

No comments: